Get A TINWhat is a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)?
The Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is a unique Identification number issued to taxpayers and potential taxpayers. Getting a TIN is free. You must get it if you should be paying tax. It is an offence if you don’t.
Reasons to get a TINYou must have a TIN to:
- Register your business with the Registrar-General’s Department,
- Do business with the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA),
- Open a bank account,
- Register your vehicle,
- Get a passport,
- Register land,
- Clear goods from a port or airport,
- Get a drivers’ licence.
You can register manually. By this, you would have to go in person to any GRA office close to you and complete a TIN Form.
Alternatively, you can download the TIN Form from the GRA website www.gra.gov.gh. Complete the Form and submit to the nearest GRA office. An SMS will be sent to you to pick your TIN when it is ready.
You can register online too. Go to the GRA website www.gra.gov.gh and click on Online TIN Form to complete the form online. If your online registration is successful, GRA would send you both email and text message notifying you that your TIN has been generated and ready for collection in any of the DTRD Offices.Which documents do I need to register for TIN?
- Valid Drivers’ License,
- Valid Passport,
- Voters ID,
- National Identification Card,
- Make a coloured photocopy of the ID used.
- Certificate of incorporation,
- Commencement certificate,
- Partnership certificate,
- External company letter
Can I register for tax without a TIN?
No! You need a Tax Identification Number(TIN) to register for tax.Getting your TIN online You can complete a simple form online “Online TIN Form“. If your registration is successful you will get an email from GRA. GRA will tell you by SMS when your certificate is ready. You will need to collect your certificate from your local Domestic Tax Revenue Division officeSTEPS TO REGISTER FOR TIN ONLINEOther ways to get your TIN
- Using Google chrome type GRA and click on “Get A Tin”
- Go to ” Getting Your Tin Online and click on ” Online Tin Form
- Move to New User Section and click on ” Sign up Here Using : Ghana Online Portal Access. GOPA This takes you to the Ghana Online Portal Access Platform: New User Registration
- Follow the instructions and fill in the necessary User credentials ie Username and Password and a valid email provided click on Register
- Upon successful registration, a message will pop-up directing you to a link sent to email provided.
- Access your email and click on the link
- Per the message from the mail, a message pops up informing you of online account activated.
- Move back to the Homepage and log in to Register with the Username and Password created during the registration process
- Upon log-in follow the instructions and click on start
- This will lead to a section where you select ” Tin Registration Service ” and then click on “Register Tin”
- This takes you to the Tin Registration Stage 1 – ID VALIDATION
- Upon successful validation of ID, it takes you to “Tin Registration Stage 2 – Tin Registration Details
- Follow instructions to complete registration process
You can also go to any GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division office. to complete a paper TIN form.
GRA will tell you by SMS when your certificate is ready. You’ll need to collect your certificate from your Domestic Tax Revenue Division office.How long will it take to get my TIN?
The Law provides for 21 days to process Tin. You should therefore get your TIN certificate within 21 days.However, if you don’t then you should:
If you lose your TIN you will need to get a replacement certificate.You will need to provide your:
- Full name,
- Date of birth,
- Mother’s maiden name and,
- The ID number of the card you used to get your TIN (e.g. Voters ID, Passport, etc.),
WhatsApp to 0200631664 or 0552990000,
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Going to your nearest Domestic Tax Revenue Division (DTRD) office.