CONDITIONS – IMPORT PROHIBITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
- Used mattresses
- refrigerators and air Conditioners
- Used underwear Used
- Used Sanitary Wears
- Used Vehicle Cuts and tampered Chassis
- Imported Frozen Tilapia Fish among others.
- Animals and carcasses infected with disease: Animals or carcasses infected with disease within the meaning of the Disease of Animals Act, 1961 (Act 83) or any part of such animals or carcasses
- Beads of inflammable celluloid: Beads composed of inflammable celluloid or other similar substances
- Coffee, raw, imported overland: Raw coffee imported overland or by inland waterways
- Coin not up to standard: Coin in current use in any foreign country or any money purported to be such not being of the established standard in weight and fineness in accordance with the Currency Act, 1964 (Act 242)
- Contaminated food- Meat, vegetables, and other provisions declared by a Health Officer as unfit for human consumption.
- Knuckle dusters.
- Libelous and scandalous materials
- Base or counterfeit coin or counterfeit notes of any country
- Obscene or pornographic articles: Indecent or obscene prints, paintings, photographs, books, cards, lithographic or other engravings or any other indecent or obscene article.
- Dangerous weapons: Flick knives and paper knives which in the opinion of the Minister of Interior are considered to be dangerous weapons.
- Goods prohibited by any law: All other goods, the importation of which is prohibited by any law in Ghana
These are imported goods of which clearance require certain permits and certifications from Ministries, Departments and Agencies and other Regulatory Entities in the country. They include the following:
- Currency: Bank notes, Bank coins, Travelers’ cheques, Electronic units of payment, Securities in the denominations of local currency or the currency of another country, except under license of the Bank of Ghana
- Diamonds- Rough or uncut diamonds, except under license of the Minister of Mines and Energy
- Films, cinematograph: Cinematograph films, except at the port of Tema, Takoradi or Kotoka International Airport provided that this restriction shall not apply in the case of films which the Commissioner General is satisfied are intended solely for exhibition in private premises to which the public is not admitted on payment or otherwise.
- Materials bearing designs and imitation of money: All goods which bear a design in imitation of any currency or bank note or coin in current use in Ghana or elsewhere, except under license of the Minister for Finance.
- Goods regulated by any law: All goods, the importation of which is regulated by any law in Ghana except in accordance with such laws
- Gambling machines: A permit is required from the Ministry of Interior
- Plant, plant product, plant disease or pest, soil, manure, grass, and other parking material liable to harbor dangerous diseases or pests of plants: A permit is required from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture
- Explosives, including nitroglycerine, dynamite, detonators, gun cotton blasting powder, other substances used to produce explosives but excluding ordinary gun powder, percussion caps, rockets or fuses: A Ministry of Interior license is required.
- Arms and ammunition: A permit is required from the Ministry of Interior
- Handcuffs: A Ministry of Interior license is required.
- Machines for duplicating keys: Obtain license from the Ministry of Interior
- Milk deficient in milk fat: Milk, condensed or evaporated, containing less than eight per centum by weight of milk fat, and dried milk or milk powder containing less than twenty-six per centum by weight of milk fat
- Provided that this prohibition shall not apply to skimmed milk imported in containers clearly marked in such a manner as to be easily distinguished from containers of full cream milk, and admitted as such by the Commissioner:
- Provided further that the Commissioner may admit any particular consignment of condensed or evaporated milk having a lower fat content than eight per centum by weight of milk fat which he is satisfied is a consignment of full cream condensed or evaporated milk.
- Nets and traps for animals: Nets, gins, traps snares, spring-guns, missiles containing explosives, apparatus for setting guns and all similar or other mechanical engines or appliances including any parts thereof or accessories thereto designed, calculated or intended to be used or capable of being used to capture, injure or destroy an animal
- Weapons for discharge of noxious liquids: Weapons of any description which in the opinion of the Minister of Interior are designed for the discharge of any noxious liquids, gas or other similar substances and any ammunition containing or in the opinion of the Minister of Interior are designed or adapted to contain any noxious liquid, gas or other similar substance, except under license of the Minister for Interior.
- Mercury: A license is required from the Ministry of Mines and Energy (Mercury Act, 1989, PNDCL 217)